I haven’t posted about it yet, but I’ve got an Android phone last week (HTC Magic, from Rogers), courtesy of my work (F yeah for salary full-time!). Being the geek I am, within a week I want to root it. But if I brick the phone, I don’t think they’ll look to kindly on me. So I’ve got to make sure I backup my image and it will work. I’ve followed the instructions here, got to the recovery system (though I couldn’t backup recovery.img…) “E:Can’t mount /dev/block/mmcblk0 [...] Can’t mount sdcard”.

Some people were saying it’s because the stock microSD card doesn’t work, so I tried another I had lying around. It didn’t work either. So I formatted it (through Settings), and then it STILL didn’t work. Back to google.

Then I find this post (#8) that says to just select backup again … and it worked. I’ve not seen any other posts that mention this, and no actual articles or blog posts (save one) have even brought up the issue, it’s only been comments and replies where I’ve found any information. So here’s an official post addressing the issue. Anyone who has problems feel free to post here or contact me (http://aaziz.org/index.php?page=contact) and I’ll do my best to help.

Update: I found that I also had to “fix filesystem” once or twice after/before each step, and sometimes do the wipe step more than once in order to get it to work. But, it did. Unfortunately the CyanogenMod images bricked my phone so I’m now using the rooted Hero firmware, though it’s a bit slow so I think I’ll try for rooted stock firmware (though some of the features like the new keyboard and slide to unlock are nice).

Update 2: I used a up to date version of CyanogenMod modded for 32A devices (which is what the Rogers Magic is) and now all works well.

, ,

I recently had an issue where I converted some User Controls to code-behind model, and moved them to another directory. I then found I couldn’t reference them in code. After a post on the ASP.NET forums, I came to a solution, and devised the rules as to how you can reference a User Control in code:

  1. The control needs to have a ClassName tag in the <%@ Control %> tag (actually, I think if it doesn’t you’ll use the generated class name?)
  2. The page has to use a <%@ Reference %> tag in the .aspx file to reference the control
  3. If page uses a code-behind file, the namespace “ASP” contains all controls reference with the <%@ Reference %> tag. If it’s inline code, there’s no need for this.

If your page is inline code, you don’t have to worry about the ASP namespace. The ASP namespace is a dynamic namespace that contains the controls you referenced with the <%@ Reference %> tag in the markup file.

I hope this helps anyone having problems referencing User Controls by classname in their code. I searched for quite a while and I only got answers like “don’t use code-behind if you want to do that” or “have all your controls implement a Interface and reference them by that interface”.

Please post any comments or questions. I check my email/comments daily, so a response should be pretty quick (usually about 1 business day maximum. If I’m at a computer working, I usually respond right away). You can also contact me by email.

, ,

Earlier I posted a “solution” to a problem where I couldn’t export. I searched high and low, running through DLLs and assembly references. I thought I had it working by changing the DLL of one assembly reference the to version 10 reference (CR 2008 is version 12). I stopped the post there. Later, I realized the different assemblies were pretty integrated with each other, and you couldn’t just have different versions floating around (DUH). So I changed them all back to version 10.

Of course I still had issues with that. I forget what, but it wasn’t good. I think it wouldn’t run on the production server. That server doesn’t have Visual Studio installed, only the CR engine. The version 10 assemblies I were using were the Crystal Report packages that came with VS.NET 2008.

In order to successfully be able to use all the correct assemblies, I had to do more research. What I ended up doing was completely uninstalling Crystal Reports and reinstalling it, and configuring some Virtual Diretories. The steps and and explanation after the jump.

Read the rest of this entry

, , , , , , ,