I haven’t posted about it yet, but I’ve got an Android phone last week (HTC Magic, from Rogers), courtesy of my work (F yeah for salary full-time!). Being the geek I am, within a week I want to root it. But if I brick the phone, I don’t think they’ll look to kindly on me. So I’ve got to make sure I backup my image and it will work. I’ve followed the instructions here, got to the recovery system (though I couldn’t backup recovery.img…) “E:Can’t mount /dev/block/mmcblk0 [...] Can’t mount sdcard”.

Some people were saying it’s because the stock microSD card doesn’t work, so I tried another I had lying around. It didn’t work either. So I formatted it (through Settings), and then it STILL didn’t work. Back to google.

Then I find this post (#8) that says to just select backup again … and it worked. I’ve not seen any other posts that mention this, and no actual articles or blog posts (save one) have even brought up the issue, it’s only been comments and replies where I’ve found any information. So here’s an official post addressing the issue. Anyone who has problems feel free to post here or contact me (http://aaziz.org/index.php?page=contact) and I’ll do my best to help.

Update: I found that I also had to “fix filesystem” once or twice after/before each step, and sometimes do the wipe step more than once in order to get it to work. But, it did. Unfortunately the CyanogenMod images bricked my phone so I’m now using the rooted Hero firmware, though it’s a bit slow so I think I’ll try for rooted stock firmware (though some of the features like the new keyboard and slide to unlock are nice).

Update 2: I used a up to date version of CyanogenMod modded for 32A devices (which is what the Rogers Magic is) and now all works well.

, ,

NOTE: THIS IS WRONG. I later came across troubles with this approach. As I had a suspicion, all DLL versions have to be the same. This “solution” posted here is no longer relevant. I do, however, have a solution, which I will post shortly.

UPDATE: I’ve posted an updated solution.

(There is a solution here, skip down a ways if that’s all you care about, but the introduction might help some)

Frustrating situation at work today. Here’s the situation. I’m currently building a new report system in .NET (currently implement in classic ASP, like the rest of the site). We’re going to be using the latest version of Crystal Reports (2008, or, version 12) as it supposedly solves some issues with scheduling and other server-side issues.

I’m at a point where I’m actually starting to implement the Crystal Report components and objects into the system to produce report previews, exports, etc. The first thing I do is write the code for exporting (it’s fairly simple). First, Excel exporting, because it’s the most common format our customers/users will use.

Read the rest of this entry

, , , , , , ,