Earlier I posted a “solution” to a problem where I couldn’t export. I searched high and low, running through DLLs and assembly references. I thought I had it working by changing the DLL of one assembly reference the to version 10 reference (CR 2008 is version 12). I stopped the post there. Later, I realized the different assemblies were pretty integrated with each other, and you couldn’t just have different versions floating around (DUH). So I changed them all back to version 10.

Of course I still had issues with that. I forget what, but it wasn’t good. I think it wouldn’t run on the production server. That server doesn’t have Visual Studio installed, only the CR engine. The version 10 assemblies I were using were the Crystal Report packages that came with VS.NET 2008.

In order to successfully be able to use all the correct assemblies, I had to do more research. What I ended up doing was completely uninstalling Crystal Reports and reinstalling it, and configuring some Virtual Diretories. The steps and and explanation after the jump.

Read the rest of this entry

, , , , , , ,

NOTE: THIS IS WRONG. I later came across troubles with this approach. As I had a suspicion, all DLL versions have to be the same. This “solution” posted here is no longer relevant. I do, however, have a solution, which I will post shortly.

UPDATE: I’ve posted an updated solution.

(There is a solution here, skip down a ways if that’s all you care about, but the introduction might help some)

Frustrating situation at work today. Here’s the situation. I’m currently building a new report system in .NET (currently implement in classic ASP, like the rest of the site). We’re going to be using the latest version of Crystal Reports (2008, or, version 12) as it supposedly solves some issues with scheduling and other server-side issues.

I’m at a point where I’m actually starting to implement the Crystal Report components and objects into the system to produce report previews, exports, etc. The first thing I do is write the code for exporting (it’s fairly simple). First, Excel exporting, because it’s the most common format our customers/users will use.

Read the rest of this entry

, , , , , , ,

Google Reader has become one of my most-used applications online. I never used to read RSS feeds – just a few here and there. But then I found some great ones.

Lifehacker (www.lifehacker.com)

Many geeky things, this place has original posts, as well as passes on posts from a large variety of other sites. The comments are very active – it’s a large part of the experience. They even have weekly posts dedicated to comment talk.

Hack A Day (www.hackaday.com)

This is a more techy/geeky place. A lot of harder mods and software projects from all over the place. I don’t really do any of the stuff posted here, but I like to see the cool ideas and fantasize about what I’d do if I had such mad skills. For instance, check out the frikkin sweet robo-dog.

Clientcopia (www.clientcopia.com)

This site is great for anyone dealing with Customers or users. It’s pretty much a pile of funny, bad, and awkward Client/User/Customer situations.

DailyLit (www.dailylit.com)

Not a blog, but full books, in email or RSS! You can “subscribe” to a book, most of them free, and have incremental parts emailed to you, or published to a private RSS feed. I first read A Place So Foreign, which got me into Cory Doctorow, and now I’m really into Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom. If you like reading, this is a great thing to have around during workdays. You can take a short breaks (5 minutes, maybe) every once in a while to read the next piece.

There’s a bunch of others I enjoy, too:

Read the rest of this entry

, , ,