Earlier I posted a “solution” to a problem where I couldn’t export. I searched high and low, running through DLLs and assembly references. I thought I had it working by changing the DLL of one assembly reference the to version 10 reference (CR 2008 is version 12). I stopped the post there. Later, I realized the different assemblies were pretty integrated with each other, and you couldn’t just have different versions floating around (DUH). So I changed them all back to version 10.
Of course I still had issues with that. I forget what, but it wasn’t good. I think it wouldn’t run on the production server. That server doesn’t have Visual Studio installed, only the CR engine. The version 10 assemblies I were using were the Crystal Report packages that came with VS.NET 2008.
In order to successfully be able to use all the correct assemblies, I had to do more research. What I ended up doing was completely uninstalling Crystal Reports and reinstalling it, and configuring some Virtual Diretories. The steps and and explanation after the jump.
http://host/aspnet_client/system_web/2_0_50727/crystalreportviewers12/. There was no
crystalreportviewers12 directory there, however there was one at the root… and one in the CR install directory,
C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Common\4.0\. Then it was clear that the browser needed to find that folder somehow. I copied it there to test, and it worked. Later, as per direction, we created a Virtual Directory to the install folder. I also had to add
C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86\ to the PATH environment variable, otherwise I would get a DLL error when trying to export to Excel format.
That pretty much sums it up. But I’m going to outline the steps anyways:
- Completely uninstall Crystal Reports (all version, make sure DLLs do not exist in Common Files folder, or Bin folder of web application)
- Install Crystal Reports 2008, doing a custome install and making sure to install packages for Visual Studio and the .NET framework (I don’t believe they were selected by default, this may have had something to do with it). I opted to install all features on my development machine, just in case.
C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86\to the PATH variable (adjust path if needed)
- The directory
crystalreportviewers12must be accessible by client browsers from the
aspnet_client\system_web\2_0_50727folder. Copying the folder or creating a Virtual Directory to
C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Common\4.0\crystalreportviewers12are options
I hope this helps anyone having Crystal Report 2008 problems with a ASP.NET site (or helps in any other way). The reason I revisted this was because I am configuring a new developement workstation I was upgraded to at work, and have to go through this process again. It’s good to refresh myself. If I run into any more problems I’ll post them. Please add your comments or ask any questions if you’re having problems!