I’ve had to change the theme of the blog, for a few reasons:

  1. It was kind of ugly
  2. K2 with AJAX’d Wordpress were giving me problems (couldn’t post with Javascript turned on…)
  3. Damn PNG gamma correction!

I’ll be reinstalling the latest version of wordpress sometime soon (as in, once classes start), so hopefully this holds ’till then.

,
Top 10 of 166 Total URLs By KBytes
# Hits KBytes URL
1 372 1.94% 789068 23.62% /images/meatcard_photos/moonmen_one.JPG
2 404 2.11% 689487 20.64% /images/meatcard_photos/moonmen_final.JPG
3 259 1.35% 539948 16.16% /images/meatcard_photos/fireandice_final.JPG
4 207 1.08% 437311 13.09% /images/meatcard_photos/fireandice_one.JPG
5 222 1.16% 412961 12.36% /images/meatcard_photos/cornered_final.JPG
6 185 0.97% 381504 11.42% /images/meatcard_photos/cornered_one.JPG

I had a disturbing email yesterday: The domain aaziz.org (aaziz) is about to exceed its bandwidth limit. I only get about 300K traffic any given month – and that’s only lately. What the hell happened.

Well, I found out. Looked through the access logs and Webalizer reports, and found out a SHIT TON of traffic (97%!) were the six pictures we took for the meatcard contest. They were over 2.2 MB in size each. Oops. I also noticed a few more peculiar things, for one, that 68% of referrers were that exact blog post, but the actual blog files weren’t getting a lot of hits. I also only accumulated $0.02 in ad revenue that whole day, so I don’t think it’s actually been a lot of traffic. I’m thinking perhaps a crawler or spam bot or something.

I really don’t have a lot of experience as a web admin, so I don’t know. I’m going to have to keep an eye on it and possibly move the images off-site if it gets bad. I reduced them to 400k each, so I’m hoping that 80% reduction will help. I don’t think it’s hotlinking, as I added hotlink blocking last night and it didn’t do anything. Well, we’ll see. It was only an extra $1 for an additional 2GB this month, so not that big of a deal.

, ,